Close Menu
Orlando Family & Divorce Lawyer
Call for a Confidential Consultation Hablamos Español

What are my rights as an unmarried father in Florida?

View More FAQ Videos


Unfortunately, there aren’t many rights for an unmarried father in Florida. The Florida statute 744.301 says the mother of a child born out of wedlock is the natural guardian of the child and is entitled to primary residential care and custody of the child unless a court of competent jurisdiction enters an order stating otherwise. The father can file a petition to establish paternity and other relief, and request that the court create a parenting plan to govern when and where both parties can exercise time sharing and parental responsibility.